Custom Search

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mamma Mia! (2008)

★★★¾✩

In the classic ABBA song Mamma Mia are the lines, I don’t know how, but I suddenly lose control/There’s a fire within my soul. And that is what the movie Mamma Mia! is. You watch this movie and lose control. There is indeed a fire within your soul. And all you want to do is dance and sing all day long.

One would, of course, expect nothing less from a movie made with some of the most beloved actors of all time, based on one of the most beloved musicals of all time, which was in turn made from some of the most beloved songs of all time. It includes singing, dancing, romance, Greece, and a fair amount of who’s-your-daddy drama—literally. Meryl Streep shows us that on top of her monstrous acting talent she can also sing surprisingly well, and Amanda Seyfried stuns everyone with her amazing vocals. The only thing that is hard to wrap your brain around is seeing James Bond in a singing, dancing, happy musical scenario. But hey, kudos to Pierce Brosnan for trying something new, right?

The Mamma Mia! experience is, of course, lengthened and made EVEN BETTER by the awesome (if slightly embarrassing) times you get to have with all of the karaoke extras on the DVD. Mamma mia, here I go again, my my, how can I resist you?

No comments:

Post a Comment